Thursday, March 24, 2011

Time is short.

There's this 5th grader in one of my classes, Logan. He's always so cheerful and upbeat. And the first to arrive to class each day. I'll ask him, "How are you, Logan?" and he never fails to reply, with vigor, "VETTY WANDAHFUL!" When I hear a "BOO!" from behind me, I always know its Logan, peeking out from behind a wall and sporting a great big grin.

So today, when I oddly didn't notice his entrance into my classroom -- I had just happened to turn and see him sitting there quietly at his desk -- I had a feeling something what up. He wasn't smiling. He just looked somber, staring straight ahead.

One of the English teachers and I walked over to talk to him.

"Logan, how are you?"

"So-so."

"What's wrong?" I asked.

He just shrugged and spoke a few words in Korean. The English teacher told me he was just sad, but he didn't know why.

We sat there with him for a few minutes, when he finally spoke up...all the while still staring straight ahead -- this time with tears in his eyes.

"Time is just too fast!" he said with a shaky little voice. (as translated by the teacher)

Oh my goodness. I had just figured he was just having a fight with another student at school. Or was maybe sick or something... Not having a panic attack about how the years were just aflying by. I hated to break it to him that it was only going to get worse the older he got...

He continued, "Every day is going by so quickly. I don't want to die."

The teacher and I just exchanged smiles as we listened to his precocious wisdom.

"I believe in God and I think that all of the bad things happening in the world right now, like in Japan... I think Jesus Christ is crying. I don't want the world to end."

I just wanted to hug him. So I did. His tense little body was like a board as I took him in my arms. I offered him a tissue and some candy. He just took the tissue. I didn't know what else to do, so I just sat there with him and told him to try not to worry about things-- he was young, after all, and had many years ahead of him. I just told him to make sure he enjoyed every minute of every day and he'd be alright. Then I smiled to myself as I thought about how freakin' adorable my students are!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...