Tuesday, August 23, 2011

THAILAND -- Krabi: Part 2

Pad Thai and Papaya Salad made by ME at cooking school.

Well I just finished cooking up my own rendition of Pad Thai here at home. Yep, that's right. The girl who doesn't cook has finally busted out her pots and pans. And what does she finally cook? Thai food.

I'm exotic, what can I say?


Anyway, I realized something while traveling this time around. My earlier post about the English language was a little naive. What I failed to understand when I wrote it, and only discovered after I visited Thailand (I haven't yet traveled to most of the world, believe it or not), was that English IS the international language. I thought it was so cool that the lady we Skyped in Thailand spoke to us in English. But I failed to grasp that virtually every traveler speaks the necessary English. I met people from Switzerland, the Netherlands, Germany, etc etc and every last one of them carried on perfectly good English conversations with me. BUT. They could also turn to their friend and proceed to converse in their native tongue, as well...

I'm jealous. 

All of these other non-native-English-speaking nations are still speaking English! They're just also speaking their native language. I wanna, too! It was like they had their own secret language. Sure I could turn to Alex and speak my native language, but...oh, wait. Everyone can understand me. 

Khao Niew (a Thai dessert of  sweet sticky rice topped with
custard and wrapped in a banana leaf) was my daily breakfast.
SO GOOD. 
I mean, there are still perks to being American-born (and British-born and Australian-born and Canadian-born and Irish-born). We still have slightly more opportunities to teach abroad, and thus, travel for free, since we come from a native English speaking country (which is still weird to me, because the people I spoke with had perfectly fine pronunciation). Perhaps that's one of the reasons people around the world hate Americans so much (they really do!). Although, I can think of several other reasons, having met a few while traveling. Come on, guys! Don't be so dadgum stereotypical. Southerners...I'm talking to you, especially! Even I was annoyed (and I'm a Southerner). Moving on...

This was the food that Alex and I cooked at our cooking class: 1) Panang Curry, 2) Red & Green Curry, and 3) Spring Rolls.



We really enjoyed visiting different markets. This particular one opened at 3 a.m and closed at 11 a.m. for the restaurant owners.

One day we meditated inside this temple. Breathtaking!

Around Thailand (in Krabi, for instance), most buses look like this: 
 

 The creatures around Krabi were awesome, as well! Komodo dragons (what you can't see from this picture is that this guy is the size of a small child), colorful crabs with ginormous claws (note the hundreds of tiny crabs with only their giant claws sticking out of their holes), and, of course, beautiful butterflies.
 



Annnd. You can't forget the gyeongshi jota (Korean for "beautiful views").The views around town were pretty incredible. 
 

 

On the last day we went kayaking before heading back on the 11-hour stretch to Bangkok in a double-decker sleeper bus. One of the guides had the cutest baby girl, and he was rocking her in a piece of cloth tied between the poles of a cabana. It was a lot of fun, but in hindsight, I wish we would've planned for this ahead of time and kayaked at the Phi Phi islands instead. But Ao Thalane was still pretty gorgeous. 





 Next stop: Bangkok

1 comment:

  1. Woww!!! nice trip. If you can’t decide for your next trip…Phuket is the best choice for you!!

    And if you are looking for hotel in phuket for your holiday. Surin Beach Hotel will be the best choice for you too.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...