Thursday, September 1, 2011

"What the heck?!" Wednesdays

Well, no room for insecurities in Korea. My "nose self-consciousness" is a thing of the past. Yep, all those times I cried in junior high are behind me. Korea has me cured.

I believe I heard it for the, oh, 27th time today since I arrived here roughly six months ago...Those five, gosh-darned, little words: Why is your nose big?

I was a little taken aback the first time I heard it. I tried to make a lesson out of it the second, third, fourth times that I heard it ("my nose is BIG, your nose is LITTLE. BIG. Little. BIG. Little." Oh, the teacher in me...) Now I think I'm just numb. It goes in one ear and out the other. I'm just like, "Dude, why is yours so small?"

Yeah. Take that. Okay, I don't actually say that. I just think it. Well, I may have said it once to a small, clueless child... I dunno. Bottom line is -- Be prepared to be picked apart (in one way or another) if you come to this country. But just know that they don't really mean anything by it and that, in the long run, it might actually make you feel better about yourself...simply because you STOP caring what people think and say about you...

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...