Monday, November 14, 2011

Juwangsan


Some of the Korean university students in my city started offering Korean lessons three times a week. What began simply as classes blossomed into a lovely friendship. We've all been hanging out a lot lately and I have the best time with them! We went to Juwangsan National Park this past weekend and it was great fun. I was a little grumpy in the morning, because, well, it was early in the morning. I had planned to nap on the bus...but then this happened. (No seats = sitting on newspapers in the aisle for the hour and a half ride.) 


When we arrived, there were about 100 rainbow-colored, ski pole-clad Korean hikers warming up and stretching together (refer to this post for the scoop on the Korean hiker.) So we had our own stretching circle.

The mountain was absolutely gorgeous. And because I was with nine Koreans, I didn't even need to bring a camera. 
(Koreans take lots of pictures.)





Oh, I crack myself up. No, not really.

On the way, we saw lots of pretty Pajeon (a pancake-like Korean dish) for sale.

We stopped and had lunch next to a creek. The two men below were dining nearby and brought us all some chicken. They were dressed alike, down to their matching head scarfs, and Skye and I lovingly referred to them as Tweedle Dum and Tweedle Dee. Later, we went to sit with said twins and they offered us soju in an egg carton. Pimpin'.


Some of my cute Korean friends:

We started catching leaves for luck... I caught a few, thank you very much :)

We also stacked stones (a Korean custom to bring good luck and "make your dreams come true," as one of the boys said. You usually see these near temples.) Besides stacking, I accidently knocked a few stone towers down. I was jokingly told by one of the Korean boys that I "just killed some peoples' dreams." 
Man. That's some serious ish.

"Kimchiiiiiii!" 

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...