Monday, December 5, 2011

The Gender of God

Well it is official. I have now been preached to by the Heavenly Mother church of Andong. At a crosswalk while on my bike, nonetheless. These guys mean business. I did some research about them when I got home. Let me just tell you a little about the Heavenly Mother church...

The church is officially called the World Mission Society Church of God. It was founded in 1964 by a Korean man named Ahn Sahng-Hong, whom they believe is the Second Coming Christ/the Holy Spirit. He "ascended" (as their website states, but, put simply -- died) in 1985 and left the church to his wife, Zahng Gil-Ja, whom is known as "the Heavenly Mother" or "God the Mother" (though, interestingly, this fact is really only stated on Wikipedia and other personal sites and not actually on the church's website).

They believe some pretty interesting things, but state that it's all (someway or another) based on Scripture. Somehow. (But then, we've seen all the ways that Scripture can be twisted and skewed to fit the various belief systems out there). Here are some of their convictions, which I've lifted directly from their site:

"So Christ was sacrificed once to take away the sins of many; and he will appear a second time, not to bear sin, but to bring salvation to those who are waiting for him." Heb. 9:28 - The purpose of Christ's coming a second time is for our salvation. To bring us salvation the Passover is absolutely needed. The One who allowed us the Passover truth is Ahnsahnghong. Therefore, Ahnsahnghong is Christ who came in this age according to all the prophecy of the Bible. He restored the truth of the Passover, the tree of life, and saved us from our sin and death. He is our God."


"Let us rejoice and be glad and give him glory! For the wedding of the Lamb has come, and his bride has made herself ready." Rev. 19:7 - The book of Revelation was written after Jesus had ascended, and it prophesied about the things that were to happen in the last days. Thus, "the lamb" mentioned in the above verse indicates the Second Coming Christ: Ahnsahnhong. When Jesus came to the earth for the first time two thousand years ago, His wife was not yet ready. The Bride, the wife of the Lamb, would appear in the last days . . .  what should we call her? We should call her our "Mother." We can not have eternal life unless we receive the heavenly Mother. Eternal life, which God has promised us, is given through the heavenly Mother.

I'm all for gender equality and female leadership, but...hmmmm...

They asked for my phone number after all was said and done and my mind immediately flashed back to the Mormons who came to my door once in college. They, too, had asked for my number, so I switched the last two digits. I just...didn't want to be called. You know? I had always felt guilty about that, especially after using the Mormon institution's parking lot -- located directly next door to my university-- so many times (it was, technically, prohibited). So I ended up giving the Heavenly Mother peeps my numero. Whoops. Let's just say the repercussions have already made themselves apparent, as I no longer answer unknown calls. There's even a "block" feature on my phone which I may need to try out very soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...