Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Classroom Convos

A typical conversation with my 5th grade students:

Today, they were talking about their "su-mat-u pone-su" (smart phones) and I asked how many of them actually had smart phones. They all did, of course. I decided to go all grandma on them and told them that when I was their age, I didn't have a cell phone.

*GASP*

"In fact," I continued, "when I was your age, my parents didn't even have cell phones."

A even bigger gasp escaped them.

"Actually, when I was your age, no one had cell phones."

The biggest gasp of all. They were absolutely dumbfounded -- speechless for a moment.

"So, teacha," one small girl in white-rimmed glasses spoke up, "when in car, how to talk on phone?"

I then explained to them the concept of not being able to talk on a phone while in a moving vehicle. They couldn't comprehend.

It really is amazing to think about how much things have changed in only a few short years.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...